Thursday, March 6, 2008

Sticks & Stones


I bought this calendar back in September. Possibly the earliest I've ever bought a calendar for the next year. I love it though, it has some sweet art in it. This month's piece is one of my favorites. It's Ball Made From Sticks by Strijdom van der Merwe. Back in 1995 he collected sticks from a forest fire and wove them together.


The photographs of his work becomes the only lasting record of its existence. After taking a photo, he just leaves his work behind. He feels his art is "a reminder of the capacity, however feeble, of an individual to alter the universe by embracing the ceaseless changing of nature, by actively contributing to it." Just thought this calendar and the art in it was cool and wanted to share.

2 comments:

AmyJo said...

Wow, that is cool! Thanks for sharing :)

Ju said...

I watched a documentary on this guy!! Awesome awesome awesome!!!

 
Clicky Web Analytics